I have written a series of full-colour pocket guides (A6 size) describing short walks around the Belgian countryside near Brussels. Each one includes:
- Clear directions and map
- Nature notes on fauna and flora
- Historical notes on buildings
- Questions and activities for children
- Places to eat and drink
- Colour photographs
“This Christmas my family and I (husband, three boys and parents) tried out your Neerijse and Leefdaal walks. We are all keen walkers and have used lots of maps, guides etc. in the past. We all found the books helpful, informative, easy to use and the handheld format is great.” – Nicole Smith
The titles currently available are La Hulpe, Leefdaal, Tervuren and Neerijse. They are 5 EUR each and are available from a number of bookshops in and around Brussels, or directly from me.
La Hulpe (ISBN 9789081051446)
- The history of Domain Solvay
- Looking for roe deer and Siberian chipmunks
- The Folon Foundation art museum
- Butterflies along the Argentine
- Which bird sounds like a squeaking piglet?
- Who built the Château de la Hulpe?
Tervuren (ISBN 9789081051422)
- What happened to Tervuren Castle?
- How much weight can a sparrowhawk carry?
- The legend of Saint Hubertus
- A guide to the Royal Museum for Central Africa
- What kind of animal is a Tervuren?
- How to make bark rubbings
Neerijse (ISBN 9789081051439)
- The fascinating life cycle of dragonflies
- What’s a ragged robin?
- The butterfly that looks different in the spring to the summer
- Looking for signs of beavers
- What plant was used to cure the plague?
- Neerijse Castle through the ages
Leefdaal (ISBN 9789081051415)
- The legend of Saint Verona
- Where do butterflies go in the winter?
- A short history of Leefdaal Castle
- How to identify the yellowhammer from its song
- What’s a conk?
- The accidental discovery of Belgian endive
The four Nature Walks Near Brussels books can be purchased from bookshops such as:
- Sterling Books – 38 Fossé aux Loups, 1000 Brussels
- Waterstones – 71 Boulevard Adolphe Max, 1000 Brussels
- Treasure Trove – Brusselsesteenweg 7, 3080 Tervuren
Alternatively they can be ordered directly from me. Complete the form below and I will get back to you with purchasing instructions. If you order from me, the books are 3 EUR each plus 1 EUR postage. (they are a bit more expensive in the shops!)